Not-really-a-review: Loot, Park

"You've been a widower for three days, have you thought about a second marriage?"

I ummed and aahed a bit about what to write about this one - I saw what I think was the final preview of Loot before a few days to retool before opening night on Wednesday and as with any comedy, especially farce, there's nothing like doing it live to help it bed in. At the same time, I'm not much of a fan of farce (my fault I fear...) and only really booked for two reasons. 1 - it's on the list. And 2 - Sinéad Matthews, future queen of all our hearts. She really is fantastic and it's nice to see a shift in gear from her customary electrifying intensity.

So yeah, I thought Michael Fentiman's production was funny in parts (though nowhere near as funny as most everyone around me) and impressively sharp-edged and dark for a play that is celebrating its 50th anniversary. But the writing, in its targets, does show its age and there's no attempt to show Loot as anything but a period piece, which may well tickle the fancy of those a generations on from me but ultimately left me feeling cold on occasion. And if the attempts at laughs come thick and fast, well they have to as much of the humour is dated. Sorry, my dear.

Running time: 2 hours 
Booking until 24th September, then moves to the Watermill in Newbury from 28th September to 21st October

Labels: , , , , , , ,