Album Review: Surrounded by the Sounds - the music of Tim Prottey-Jones (2011)

"She screamed, I think – it was hard to hear"

Surrounded by the Sounds - the music of Tim Prottey-Jones is the second of actor/writer Prottey-Jones' albums featuring a whole array of his West End pals, but the third that I've reviewed (see reviews of More With Every Line and To Do. To Be.) It features songs from two of Prottey-Jones musicals - Once Bitten and After The Turn - and has a decidedly more pronounced rock feel to it than either of his other collections.

As such, it didn't quite tickle my fancy in the way that I might have liked, especially since To Do. To Be. had impressed me. And it's not that this is a collection of bad songs, they're just not my cup of tea. Such guitars, much rock, so not wow. Even when the tempo slows a little into ballad territory, as with Michael Xavier's Chance In A Lifetime or Jodie Jacobs' Colour Me, it is still just too monotonely guitar-heavy for my liking.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,