Nominations for 2017 Oliviers - Best Actor/Best Actress

Best Actor


Ed Harris - Buried Child
Tom Hollander - Travesties
Ian McKellen - No Man's Land
Jamie Parker - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Interesting to see that in a category where I nominated 5 BAME men (out of 7), the Oliviers is recognising not a one. Lucian Msamati's exclusion here, for either of his National Theatre successes, is outrageous. I've yet to see Travesties, didn't want to see Buried Child and don't like Pinter so it's Parker by default.

Should win: Jamie Parker
Will win: Ian McKellen (I think...)


Best Actress


Glenda Jackson - King Lear
Cherry Jones - The Glass Menagerie
Billie Piper - Yerma
Ruth Wilson - Hedda Gabler


Another all-white shortlist (this will be a recurring theme) but having seen these all, I'm less inclined to argue since they're all deserving (I'd've maybe added the Mary Stuart pair of Lia Williams and Juliet Stevenson, and Helen McCrory, oh where to stop!). I adored Cherry Jones' Amanda Wingfield but suspect Billie Piper has the wind under her sails to sweep another major award.

Should win: Cherry Jones
Will win: Billie Piper

Labels: , , , , , , , ,