Review: Groundhog Day, Old Vic

"I have not a bad word to say, 
about small towns. Per se."

Expectations were high, how could they not be. Following on from the extraordinary success of Matilda, Tim Minchin's next foray into musical theatre was to an adaptation of the 90s movie Groundhog Day, playing a two month run at the Old Vic ahead of a presumed Broadway transfer (a move that has had a little doubt cast on it by the withdrawal of major producer Scott Rudin). Now full disclosure, I saw it in its first week thanks to the PWC £10 tickets and the show went for a full month of previews before officially opening, so feel free to take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

For I did not enjoy Groundhog Day, at all. Worse than that, I was bored by it - at least hating something rouses some form of passion, but as Danny Rubin's book cycled round and round and Minchin's not unpleasant but in no way striking score dissipated into the ether, I wondered if Rudin might not have had the right idea. There's a stellar performance from US import Andy Karl as the central Phil, carved out of that leading man material that is particularly American, but for me there was just too little magic emanating from Matthew Warchus' direction to elevate the material.

Running time: 2 hours 30 minutes (with interval)
Booking until 17th September

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,