Re-review: The James Plays, National Theatre

“The wheel will turn. The wheel always turns. The wheel will turn around again."

One of the joys of a boxset is that they can be watched over and over again so when I equated the joy of seeing all three of The James Plays on the same day as below   I kind of knew in the back of my mind that I would be trying my damnedest to get to the second of the two three-show-days in order to get that experience again whilst the opportunity was there. 

And since I'm clearly in credit with the theatrical karma gods at the moment, a ticket made its way into my grateful hands and I was able to go through the whole 10 and a half hour rollercoaster ride through this vibrantly realised cross-section of under-explored Scottish history. As ever, it was great to be able to revisit such interesting plays - original reviews can be read here James I - The Key Will Keep The LockJames II - Day of The Innocents and James III - The True Mirror - especially now there's a little more distance from the Scottish referendum which coloured much of the coverage of the plays. There isn't too much more to say about them aside from I hope they are absorbed into the theatrical culture and emerge again soon somehow, somewhere. 


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,