Saturday, 7 June 2014

Re-review: In The Heights, Southwark Playhouse

“Since when are Latin people scared of heat?”


I can't remember the exact moment when I knew I would book to see In The Heights again but it would definitely be somewhere in the first 10 minutes of watching it the first time. There was a certain amount of expectation resting on the shoulders of this production - the show was brand new to me but it was impossible to ignore the excitement of those were previously familiar with it - and so I had a little trepidatious fear that I might be swimming against the tide with this one. But I could not have been more wrong - as my original review will attest - and so I nabbed a pair of tickets for the final week within minutes of getting home!

There isn't really too much more to say about the show than to commend it for maintaining such a magnificent level of energy throughout its run, it feels as fresh and punchy as it did last time and that is no mean feat with such a physically demanding piece as this. There's a wonderfully teasing note on their website which says sign up here to be kept informed of the future of this production and it would be a well-deserved success for all concerned if a transfer was secured. I really hope they find a space suitable though, as whilst many may cry 'it should be in the West End', so much of its unique joy comes from the intimacy of this studio configuration.  

No comments: