Re-review: A View from the Bridge, Young Vic


"You'll see, you'll get a blessing for this" 

Too often, I leave a play thinking I really want to see it again and never quite manage to get round to booking for it. But I loved Ivo van Hove's extraordinary take on A View from the Bridge so much on first viewing that I knew there was no chance I wouldn't make sure a repeat visit would be inked into the diary. And it was just glorious getting to experience this transcendent production of Arthur Miller's classic play again, to really soak in its textures and further appreciate the acute psychological insight it brings to the work. 

There's not too much more that I can say about the play that wasn't already mentioned in my original review and being a part of it again simply reaffirmed how I felt that first time. The tension that it creates in the Young Vic almost immediately is exquisitely painful, the knowledge of that final scene coming an additional pleasure, that central scene between Phoebe Fox and Luke Norris (I noticed this time that the way she jumps on him here is identical to the way she jumps on Eddie at the beginning of the play, showing just how complex these relationships are) - I really can't imagine a better piece of theatre emerging in this country this year. 

Running time: 1 hour 55 minutes (without interval) 
Booking until 7th June, sold out but day seats and return are available from 10am on the day - you will kick yourself if you miss this

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,