2011 in brief summary, including 2011 fosterIAN awards

So here's the round-up of my favourite acting performances from the last 12 months and a few stats about my theatre-going. I made 332 trips to the theatre in total where I saw: 238 plays, 76 musicals, 31.5 Shakespeares (Double Falsehood if you're wondering about the .5), 10 cabarets, 4 operas and 4 dance pieces  (altogether 17 of these were revisits to productions I'd already seen). For a year which started off with me resolving to cut down on theatre, not a bad haul! 2012 will see me see less, I'm sure of it...

Best Actor in a Play Benedict Cumberbatch, Frankenstein

Best Actress in a Play
Eve Best, Much Ado About Nothing (Globe)

Best Supporting Actor in a Play
Ryan Sampson, The Kitchen Sink

Best Supporting Actress in a Play
Alexandra Gilbreath,
Othello

Best Revival
The Tempest (Cheek By Jowl)

Best New Play
The Kitchen Sink

Best Actor in a Musical
Bertie Carvel, Matilda

Best Actress in a Musical
Imelda Staunton, Sweeney Todd

Best Supporting Actor in a Musical
Daniel Crossley, Singin' in the Rain

Best Supporting Actress in a Musical
Samantha Spiro, Company

Best Musical Revival
Singin' in the Rain

Best New Musical
Matilda

And because people always want to know...
My least favourite shows of the yearGovernment Inspector and Juno and the Paycock have the unenviable distinction of being the first shows in ages that saw me leave at the interval. And of those I saw through to the bitter end...
Keeler was the absolute worst, with The Invisible Man, Moonlight, The Flying Karamazov Brothers, The Knot of the Heart and yes One Man Two Guvnors as runners-up.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,